TAXES & SPENDING
This is a subject that is very important to all of us.
Some politicians seem to forget that every dollar government spends was first earned by one of us. When times are good and revenues are high, they spend like there is no tomorrow. That is exactly what happened here in Georgia when state government spending grew much faster than our population.
Important points to know about Rick:
- believe we are taxed enough and that our state has a Spending problem not a revenue problem.
- I believe in running government like a business or a family and we donít spend money we donít have. Just like you or me, our government should not spend money it doesnít have. We have to prioritize and spend money where it is most needed and not be afraid to make hard choices.
- As a department head in the Pickens County government I used zero Based budgeting principals and was consistently under budget. I have always thought of tax money as your money and have operated my department in that way.
- Being fiscally responsible is a way of life at the Jasperse Family. I will be a good steward of your money. Yes, people say I am tight but I think itís a compliment.
- Just like you I hate seeing waste of any type, it all costs money. In our state and local governments, federally, at home or anywhere; we need to watch our resources closely.
- I want to work to develop a strong vibrant economy so that our families can prosper, and also a state that is full of economic opportunity for our children and our children's children.
As your State Representative:
- Rick supports the passage of HB 1055 ďGeorgia Taxpayer Relief Act of 2010Ē. The measure eliminates retirement income tax on Georgia seniors and eliminates the state property tax. This is the first real tax elimination bill for Georgians passed in a long time.
- Rick supports Zero-based budgeting requiring a solid justification for every penny spent by state government.
- Rick is committed to working with the House and Senate in overhauling the property taxation system in Georgia.
- Rick supports the Fair Tax in Georgia by working to replace the state income tax, removing unnecessary tax exemptions, and replacing them with a low sales tax. Every Georgian - and those just traveling through our state - should share the responsibility of funding government.
- Rick will work to eliminate wasteful spending and reduce taxes. I have always wanted to do this. I will need your help in finding waste.
- Rick will ask to be on the new committee in the legislature that will review state contracts and agencies to eliminate wasteful spending.
- Rick will be listening for your suggestions and new ideas to make government more effective.